Marine Diesel Engines
Sail boats are to sail, but if there is no wind then you need a motor to go anywhere or you can wait for the breeze to pickup. However, to get in and out of many harbors, marinas and anchorages you will definitely need a motor in your boat. Most sail boats have a diesel engine, as do trawlers, Motor boats and speed boats tend to use gasoline engines and those that want to be green go with electric motors. Since I am in the later group there is a lot of info on the Marine Electric Motors page.
Manufacturers - these are the main ones
- Beta Marine Engines - Superb, quiet, smooth marine propulsion engines using Kubota diesels and generators
- Nanni Diesel - also use Kubota engines
- Volvo Penta Marine Engines - Seems to be leader in saildrives
- Westerbeke Marine Engines - Another Kubota based diesel and generators
- Yanmar Marine Engines - Seems to be the most popular
Marine Electric Motors - There are "green" alternatives that could save you money.